Shopping for an engagement ring is not without its share of challenges. Whether you are purchasing a ring for your beloved, or you are choosing the ring together as a couple, the process can be frustrating at times.
Many people make the mistake of looking at mass produced rings at a shopping centre jewellery retailer rather than considering a custom made ring from an experienced jeweller. To give you an idea of why the latter will always give you the biggest peace of mind, keep reading our top challenges when buying the engagement ring at a generic mall jeweller.
The Biggest Engagement Ring Purchase Challenges
Engagement ring challenges that may arise when browsing jewellery retail stores include the following:
- Uneducated salespeople. A solid understanding of diamonds and other stones is essential. While salespeople at a mall store may have a vague idea about ring cuts, settings and the Four Cs, they may lack critical information that helps you make the best choice. A professional jeweller, on the other hand, would be able to suggest a lower carat diamond that still has ample sparkle, helping you stay within your budget without sacrificing the look of the ring. Likewise, a good jeweller can also help you choose the best stone cut to suit your finger shape and hand size.
- Limited available stock. Many store jewellers keep a limited number of rings in store, with full stock kept in a warehouse or head office facility. This means that the rings you see in store may not be a full reflection of the available styles. A jeweller that sells online meanwhile will display a wide range of products on their website, allowing you to get a better idea of the styles that are available. You will also almost always have the option to have your ring custom designed as well, which takes us to our next point…
- Mass produced rings. Most brides dream of having a unique, handmade ring that does not look exactly like thousands of similar rings made en masse. A major challenge to overcome when browsing rings from a chain store is that rings are made in very large batches. You may have some variation, but not as much as you would when buying your ring from an experienced, professional jeweller that specialises in engagement and wedding rings. Going to an expert who is able to make a custom ring is the only way to ensure a truly one of a kind ring.
- Over-bearing salespeople. It can be intimidating dealing with pushy salespeople. A number of high-end jewellery retailers have a very clever strategy that involves popping the bubbly and pampering potential customers. This strategy is carefully designed to encourage customers to spend as much as possible. Even if you are not treated to bubbly, salespeople can add a great deal of pressure to the decision-making process.
- Lack of insight on metals. Finally, many jewellery salespeople are also limited in their knowledge on metals. Those with allergies will need to stick to metals that are hypo-allergenic, such as platinum. Other customers may have a general idea of which metal to choose. Having a jeweller who understands the qualities of each metal is vital to ensure that your dream ring becomes a reality.
All in all, the only way to avoid these challenges is to consider a jeweller that is able to craft unique rings that will last a lifetime. Contact Cape Diamonds today if you would like to know more about finding the very best custom engagement rings in Cape Town and surrounds.