In recent years, minimal engagement rings have become a preferred choice for many brides – especially those who prefer simplicity over bold design. In fact, the minimal trend has been taking off with other jewellery too, as well as clothing and even home furnishings. Some brides may be seeking the perfect ring that complements her appreciation for all things minimalist. Others may simply be suited to a ring that is understated in its beauty, rather than being over the top.
Whatever the case, hunting for just the right type of minimal engagement rings is easier than you thought… as long as you keep the following tips in mind.
How to Find Minimal Engagement Rings
If your future bride-to-be has a love for minimal jewellery and style, a finely crafted diamond engagement ring that is designed with simplicity in mind is sure to win her heart. The following tips will help you determine how to find the right ring…
- Go for a custom ring rather than store-bought. While there may be some beautifully minimal rings in jewellery stores, you will have a far better chance of success with a custom made ring that is designed to exact specifications. This will allow far more input into how the ring will look. For brides who choose their own rings, finding similar ideas or inspiration will help to create the ideal ring. For surprise proposals, getting an idea of her tastes beforehand will make it easier to see what she likes. With a custom designed ring, every last detail can be personalised, right down to the metal of the band, the fitting and the stone itself.
- Keep it simple and classic. That is, after all, the main focus of minimal rings. Instead of lots of smaller stones or a very large stone with a complex setting, opt for a decent cut in a simple band. Solitaire rings are a good bet, but consider other ideas too – small, shaped diamonds for example, or tiny stones set into a plain platinum or rose gold heart ring. A high quality stone does not always have to be huge and flashy, after all.
- Set a budget (and stick to it). This is a no-brainer of course. Quality is the most important thing to consider, which means working out exactly how much you plan to spend, and determining what you are able to get for that price. Another reason that working with a custom jeweller is so effective is that it allows you to budget accordingly and find ways to save where you can, without compromising quality of the overall ring. For example, you could consider a more affordable metal for the band, or you could choose a stone that is visibly perfect but may have minute occlusions under the magnifying glass.
- Think ahead before you start shopping. As we mentioned earlier, finding inspiration on similar ideas will go a long way in helping to craft the perfect ring. Inspiration can come in many forms too – you may see elements of a ring you like that you think would work, or you may see something that captures your eye due to its colour, shape or essence. Making a mood board on Pinterest or on your computer (or in a scrapbook) is a great way to get an idea of what you want.
- Be original and unique wherever possible. While you may find inspiration from similar rings or jewellery, this ring should be as unique as possible. This is a ring that reflects the personality and style of the woman who wears it every day. As such, it should be original and unique to the wearer. Think out of the box – choose a distinctive metal for the band, or an interesting shape. Choose a coloured or raw diamond. Inscribe the band with dates or names.
Finding a good jeweller is the first step in finding the perfect ring. Here at Cape Diamonds, turning your dream ring into a reality is just one of the ways that we ensure that all engagement rings are as special as the women who wear them.